Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wildlife activity in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam & Port Moody

Within the past year I have really been intrigued by the Bears in our area. It mostly started with a seminar I went to a couple months ago in Coquitlam hosted by Coquitlam Bear Aware Coordinator Drake Stephens.

We have heard quite a bit of Bear activities in our communities this years. Every where you look, whether its a sign on the street, at a trail head or in the news paper or on TV, you can find some sign of bear activity & human encounter.

I have decided to start this blog after a recent attack in Anmore on a man and his dog by a mother bear attempting to protect her three cubs. It was such a shame that the mother lost her life due to human neglect on garbage disposal.

My intent with this blog is to help educate, not just the community, but myself as well through stories, research and experience. I myself have recently come face to face with a bear during a trail walk in Port Coquitlam and have also had contact with bears in the past. My recent encounter was less intimidating for me as I had just attended the 'Bear Stories" that Drake put on and I felt better being a bit more educated and knew what to do and I was fortunate that it went smoothly. This doesn't mean I feel comfortable just yet, I look forward to additional learning, not only with Bears but with all our local animals. We get a lot of Coyotes here as well but its not only Bears and Coyotes that make me nervous, I am also nervous with Deer, Raccoons and Skunks, etc. I want to educate myself on all these animals as well.

Through the duration of my learning, I want to pass this information on to you, so please subscribe to my blog to keep updated on what I learn and the activity that goes on in our neighbour hood.


Provincial Bear Aware website: http://www.bearaware.bc.ca/

Coquitlam Bear Aware website: http://www.coquitlam.ca/Residents/Public+Safety/Bear+Aware+Coquitlam.htm

Report Bear activity to conservation officer service at 1-877-952-7277


No comments:

Post a Comment